The Full Story
Clallam GOP comes out against sales tax proposal
October 11th, 2017 - 05:30 am
(Port Angeles) – The Clallam County Republican party is coming out against a sales-tax increase proposal to fund juvenile justice.
The local GOP's central committee voted in favor of a resolution asking voters to say no to the proposal.
The county is seeking approval to raise the sales tax one tenth of one percent to fund the juvenile detention facility. The county is required by state law to have the facility.
Local Republican party chair Matthew Rainwater says the party supports the work being done with juvenile justice, but thinks a sales tax increase is not the way to fund a bigger budgetary issue.
Rainwater says juvenile justice issue is an example of another unfunded mandate handed down to local governments when it should be the state's responsibility to fully fund.
Voters will decide the local tax proposal on this fall's general election ballot.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 20th - 06:00 am » Police ID victim of suicide on Port Angeles Waterfront Trail
- 20th - 06:00 am » Lengthy closures on Highway 101 to start again
- 20th - 06:00 am » Joyce man faces possible vehicular homicide charges
- 19th - 06:30 am » More than 50-thousand ballots mailed for Clallam election
- 19th - 06:30 am » Lower speed limits coming on Highway 101 near PA and Sequim
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Icicle Seafoods Hiring Event
- 19th - 09:00 am » Port Angeles School District Capital Projects Levy Meetings
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Taco Tuesday & Silent Auction at Fairview Grange
- 19th - 06:30 am » PA school board shaping facilities plan
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Joyce Emergency Planning & Prep Update