The Full Story
9/11 Memorial Waterfront Park Hosts Memorial Event
September 11th, 2017 - 02:30 pm
Port Angeles – Around 100 people gathered at was once known as Francis Street Park for a 9/11 remembrance ceremony that resulted in a new name for the park.
Two monuments are situated in the park, now known as 9/11 Memorial Waterfront Park. One monument honors the fire and police emergency personnel who responded and lost their lives during the original terrorist attack in New York. A second monument, featuring a steel girder resurrected from one of the two the World Trade Center towers, attests to those people who were killed on 9/11, 2001.
Barnard emceed the ceremonies which began in the newly named park at the north end of Francis Street at noon on Monday.
Port Angeles Police Chief, Brian Smith, was was of the guest speakers at the event. He addressed a mixed crowd of police and fire personnel, military veterans, and civilians who had all gathered to honor those who lost their lives in the 9/11 attack. He spoke about the various types of people who became first responders.
Port Angeles fire Captain, James Mason, also a featured speaker, talked about the gratitude of New Yorkers when fire department personnel from across the nation responded to help honor the fallen firefighters.
Sheriff Bill Benedict surprised Alan Barnard by recognizing his efforts to procure the 9/11 steel beam, and get the park re-named as part of a 9/11 memorial. He pointed to Barnard's involvement with the Patriot Guard Riders and presented him with a candid photo featuring him standing as part of a flag line with that group. The photo was a recent blue ribbon winning entry at this year's Clallam County Fair.
Barnard is also the chair and founder of the Clallam County Public Safety Tribute Committee.
The ceremonies concluded within 25 minutes, with Barnard inviting everyone back to next year's remembrance at the 9/11 Memorial Waterfront Park.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 22nd - 06:00 am » PA police report shows increase in drug crimes, decrease in burglaries so far this year
- 22nd - 06:00 am » PA to begin options for 8th Street bridges suicide barriers
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Wrong-way crash on Highway 101 near Carlsborg
- 21st - 05:30 am » Stand off with police ends peacefully in Port Angeles
- 21st - 06:00 am » Man arrested after shooting in west Port Angeles
- 21st - 05:30 am » Police seek info on rash of shots fired
- 21st - 05:30 am » PA man arrested after suspected selling of drugs from local motels
- 21st - 04:00 pm » KONP's Breakfast with Santa Info
- 20th - 05:30 am » Study: Marine mammals, not fisherman bigger threat to resident Orcas
- 20th - 05:30 am » Steady rains bring flooding, landslide threats