The Full Story
Emergency Planning Teams Up With Military
August 3rd, 2017 - 10:00 am
Port Angeles – Clallam and Jefferson Counties teamed up with the United States Navy's 3rd Fleet for an emergency exercise and the results were encouraging.
The purpose of the exercise was to demonstrate how the Navy can provide emergency assistance to coastal counties should we be hit with an earthquake of tsunami. It took place earlier this week.
In these types of emergency scenarios, Navy ships can act as floating supply bases of the Olympic Peninsula. Supplies can be disbursed to communities using landing craft, boats and helicopters.
We spoke with Clallam County Emergency Management volunteer, Jim Buck, who told us what the take-away is from these joint drills.
We asked Buck if the military had provided any feedback on how they perceive the efforts of our local emergency services.
Buck says that Clallam County is recognized as a leader in the state in planning for the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 23rd - 09:00 am » The Genealogical Society of Clallam County Offers Begininning Genealogy Classes
- 23rd - 09:00 am » CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) Open House
- 23rd - 05:30 am » Council hopefuls spar at business association
- 23rd - 09:00 am » Queen of Angels School Hosting All-School "Look & See Day"
- 23rd - 09:00 am » PAHS Presents Rider Day for the Class of 2021
- 23rd - 05:30 am » Active shooter drill planned for Peninsula College
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Pet licensing program to continue in Clallam County
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Port Angeles to get new grocery store
- 17th - 08:00 am » Sex Offender Receives Reduced Sentence Over Failure To Register
- 17th - 09:30 am » Former Haggen's Property Goes For $1.56 Million