The Full Story
Emergency Planning Teams Up With Military
August 3rd, 2017 - 10:00 am
Port Angeles – Clallam and Jefferson Counties teamed up with the United States Navy's 3rd Fleet for an emergency exercise and the results were encouraging.
The purpose of the exercise was to demonstrate how the Navy can provide emergency assistance to coastal counties should we be hit with an earthquake of tsunami. It took place earlier this week.
In these types of emergency scenarios, Navy ships can act as floating supply bases of the Olympic Peninsula. Supplies can be disbursed to communities using landing craft, boats and helicopters.
We spoke with Clallam County Emergency Management volunteer, Jim Buck, who told us what the take-away is from these joint drills.
We asked Buck if the military had provided any feedback on how they perceive the efforts of our local emergency services.
Buck says that Clallam County is recognized as a leader in the state in planning for the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 20th - 06:00 am » Police ID victim of suicide on Port Angeles Waterfront Trail
- 20th - 06:00 am » Lengthy closures on Highway 101 to start again
- 20th - 06:00 am » Joyce man faces possible vehicular homicide charges
- 19th - 06:30 am » PA school board shaping facilities plan
- 19th - 06:30 am » More than 50-thousand ballots mailed for Clallam election
- 19th - 09:00 am » Port Angeles School District Capital Projects Levy Meetings
- 19th - 06:30 am » Lower speed limits coming on Highway 101 near PA and Sequim
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Icicle Seafoods Hiring Event
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Joyce Emergency Planning & Prep Update
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Taco Tuesday & Silent Auction at Fairview Grange