The Full Story
PABA Hears From Serenity House Director On Homelessness Solutions
May 16th, 2017 - 11:00 am
Port Angeles – The Director of Serenity House presented his strategy for reducing homelessness to local business owners.
Serenity House Executive Director, Doc Robinson, outlined his strategy for dealing with homelessness and rental assistance for those who are near homelessness. He addressed his remarks to the Port Angeles Business Association members at their regular Tuesday meeting.
For the hardcore homeless, who are dealing with mental illness and/or drug addiction, Robinson said we need housing in order to stabilize them and keep them out of the legal system, and safe tax-payer money.
Robinson said that Serenity House currently is currently at capacity, housing 62 of this category of homeless. He then went over how he plans to cover the associated costs.
Another strategy Serenity House is striving to achieve is assisting those who require rental assistance to keep from becoming homeless, with increasing their job potential. Robinson said that about 1/3 of the Port Angeles population is receiving rental assistance. Those who qualify for assistance make $14,000 or less per year.
Robinson noted that despite efforts to assist low income families with rent, there are still not enough available rental properties on the peninsula. He suggested looking at vacant commercial properties that might be suitable for conversion to rental housing.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 25th - 11:00 am » Obscene gesture leads to collision between Jeep and pedestrian in PA
- 25th - 12:30 pm » Man killed in Lake Crescent crash
- 25th - 08:30 am » Local Salvation Army leader heads to disaster relief in Texas
- 22nd - 12:00 pm » 3rd Annual Oxford Cook Off
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Highway 101 to shut down around Lake Crescent
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Unemployment rate stays steady for Clallam County
- 22nd - 12:00 pm » Cascadia Rising Presentation
- 21st - 06:00 am » Search in Clallam County for missing Bremerton man
- 20th - 10:30 am » Erratic Driver Reported In Port Angeles
- 20th - 09:00 am » 65% Probability For A La Niña Winter