The Full Story
PABA Hears From Serenity House Director On Homelessness Solutions
May 16th, 2017 - 11:00 am
Port Angeles – The Director of Serenity House presented his strategy for reducing homelessness to local business owners.
Serenity House Executive Director, Doc Robinson, outlined his strategy for dealing with homelessness and rental assistance for those who are near homelessness. He addressed his remarks to the Port Angeles Business Association members at their regular Tuesday meeting.
For the hardcore homeless, who are dealing with mental illness and/or drug addiction, Robinson said we need housing in order to stabilize them and keep them out of the legal system, and safe tax-payer money.
Robinson said that Serenity House currently is currently at capacity, housing 62 of this category of homeless. He then went over how he plans to cover the associated costs.
Another strategy Serenity House is striving to achieve is assisting those who require rental assistance to keep from becoming homeless, with increasing their job potential. Robinson said that about 1/3 of the Port Angeles population is receiving rental assistance. Those who qualify for assistance make $14,000 or less per year.
Robinson noted that despite efforts to assist low income families with rent, there are still not enough available rental properties on the peninsula. He suggested looking at vacant commercial properties that might be suitable for conversion to rental housing.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 20th - 05:30 am » Woman gets 45 days for store theft
- 19th - 11:30 am » Joyce Moves To Ban Retail Pot Sales
- 19th - 05:30 am » DUI suspected in bicycle-van crash
- 19th - 10:00 am » PA Looking To Ammend Property Cleanup Code
- 18th - 10:00 am » New (564) Area Code Starts July 29th
- 18th - 12:30 pm » City Hoping For Road Repair Help With Current Ballot Measure
- 18th - 11:30 am » Lower Elwha Executive Says Hotel Plans Will Move Forward
- 17th - 12:00 pm » More Federeal Funding For McDonald Creek Bridge
- 17th - 01:00 pm » Temporary B&B County Ordinance Will Likely Be Extended
- 13th - 10:00 am » ONP Announces McFee Tunnel Opening And 101 Lake Crescent Project Changes