The Full Story
Transportation Board Established For PA Taxing Supplimentation
April 19th, 2017 - 10:30 am
Port Angeles - With the establishment of a Transportation Benefit District (TBD) back on April 4th, the City of Port Angeles created an independent taxing district solely for the maintenance, repair and construction of City transportation improvements.
At a special meeting of the newly established TBD Board, Cherie Kidd and Michael Merideth were voted in as the chair and vice-chair, respectively.
The TBD was formed as a funding mechanism for the establishment of a 0.2% sales tax that would provide funding for street repair and maintenance.
City Attorney, Bill Bloor, briefed the newly formed TBD on this funding procedure.
The TBD then tried to establish a meeting schedule that would balance the administrative functions they need to accomplish along with the provision for public input. City Manager, Dan McKeen provided some insight that would provide for both.
The current draft of the resolution calls for a ballot proposition to be submitted to the qualified electors of the District on August 1st of this year. It would authorize a sales and use tax to be imposed within the boundaries of the District upon all taxable retail sales and uses in the amount of two-tenths of one percent (0.2%) for the purpose of financing all or a portion of the costs associated with transportation improvements in the District identified herein for a period of ten years.
The new TBD Board approved the resolution unanimously and has slated July 18th for their next meeting.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 20th - 06:00 am » Joyce man faces possible vehicular homicide charges
- 20th - 06:00 am » Police ID victim of suicide on Port Angeles Waterfront Trail
- 20th - 06:00 am » Lengthy closures on Highway 101 to start again
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Icicle Seafoods Hiring Event
- 19th - 06:30 am » PA school board shaping facilities plan
- 19th - 06:30 am » More than 50-thousand ballots mailed for Clallam election
- 19th - 06:30 am » Lower speed limits coming on Highway 101 near PA and Sequim
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Taco Tuesday & Silent Auction at Fairview Grange
- 19th - 03:00 pm » Joyce Emergency Planning & Prep Update
- 19th - 09:00 am » Port Angeles School District Capital Projects Levy Meetings