Scammers Target PUD Customers
March 14th, 2017 - 10:30 am
Carlsborg - The PUD is reminding customers about potential utility scams that are being reported.
The scams take place in various ways, either over the phone, through mailers, via text messages or by people visiting a home or business.
Criminals are using various means of solicitation and may claim bills are delinquent or that special funding is available. These are all attempts to elicit financial information from the customer.
Both commercial and residential customers in the PUD’s service area have been recently targeted.
The scammers may call, or even visit a customer's home, claiming that the customer is delinquent on a PUD bill and asking for personal information or a pre-paid credit card for bill payment. There have been reports that the scammers are even able to make your caller ID function suggest they are the PUD calling.
For customer security, the PUD does not provide any account information unless the customer provides verification that they are the account holder.
The PUD says that while most scams tend to focus on residential customers, they know that commercial customers are not immune from these criminal efforts.
Customers can always verify any PUD issues with the PUD directly.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 29th - 06:00 am » Local boat builder to double workforce, state grant to train workers
- 29th - 10:00 am » Man's Body Recovered From Water In PA Boat Haven
- 29th - 07:30 am » Phone Scam Warnings
- 29th - 12:00 pm » PA Schools To Increase Earned Credits For Graduation
- 29th - 09:00 am » More Hood Canal Bridge Closures Slated For April
- 28th - 09:30 am » Sequim Nominated For USA Today Contest
- 28th - 04:00 pm » Arrests made in large drug trafficking case
- 28th - 10:30 am » Sunday's Crime Spree Suspect Arrested
- 28th - 11:00 am » Kilmer Seeks Answers On Naval Air Drills Over Peninsula
- 28th - 09:00 am » Canvassing Board Resolution On Uncounted Ballots Report