Fire burns part of mill power generating plant
March 10th, 2017 - 05:00 am
(Port Angeles) – Crews were able to put out a fire in the big silo at the Co-generation plant at the Nippon mill in Port Angeles.
Firefighters were called to a structure fire at the mill about seven o'clock last night.
Nippon employees reported a fire near the top of the silo.
Smoke was showing from the top of the conveyor that moves boiler fuel to the silo.
Firefighters and mill employees overhauled the area and used pressurized water cans and a dry chemical extinguisher to mitigate the fire.
Fire department captain Jamie Mason says due to the remote
and elevated location, they couldn't use standard water hoses.
No one was injured, but the conveyor belt was burned through.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 29th - 10:00 am » Man's Body Recovered From Water In PA Boat Haven
- 29th - 06:00 am » Local boat builder to double workforce, state grant to train workers
- 29th - 07:30 am » Phone Scam Warnings
- 29th - 12:00 pm » PA Schools To Increase Earned Credits For Graduation
- 29th - 09:00 am » More Hood Canal Bridge Closures Slated For April
- 28th - 09:30 am » Sequim Nominated For USA Today Contest
- 28th - 04:00 pm » Arrests made in large drug trafficking case
- 28th - 10:30 am » Sunday's Crime Spree Suspect Arrested
- 28th - 11:00 am » Kilmer Seeks Answers On Naval Air Drills Over Peninsula
- 28th - 09:00 am » Canvassing Board Resolution On Uncounted Ballots Report