The Full Story
Fire burns part of mill power generating plant
March 10th, 2017 - 05:00 am
(Port Angeles) – Crews were able to put out a fire in the big silo at the Co-generation plant at the Nippon mill in Port Angeles.
Firefighters were called to a structure fire at the mill about seven o'clock last night.
Nippon employees reported a fire near the top of the silo.
Smoke was showing from the top of the conveyor that moves boiler fuel to the silo.
Firefighters and mill employees overhauled the area and used pressurized water cans and a dry chemical extinguisher to mitigate the fire.
Fire department captain Jamie Mason says due to the remote
and elevated location, they couldn't use standard water hoses.
No one was injured, but the conveyor belt was burned through.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 25th - 11:00 am » Obscene gesture leads to collision between Jeep and pedestrian in PA
- 25th - 08:30 am » Local Salvation Army leader heads to disaster relief in Texas
- 25th - 12:30 pm » Man killed in Lake Crescent crash
- 22nd - 12:00 pm » 3rd Annual Oxford Cook Off
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Highway 101 to shut down around Lake Crescent
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Unemployment rate stays steady for Clallam County
- 22nd - 12:00 pm » Cascadia Rising Presentation
- 21st - 06:00 am » Search in Clallam County for missing Bremerton man
- 20th - 10:30 am » Erratic Driver Reported In Port Angeles
- 20th - 09:00 am » 65% Probability For A La Niña Winter