The Full Story
Fire burns part of mill power generating plant
March 10th, 2017 - 05:00 am
(Port Angeles) – Crews were able to put out a fire in the big silo at the Co-generation plant at the Nippon mill in Port Angeles.
Firefighters were called to a structure fire at the mill about seven o'clock last night.
Nippon employees reported a fire near the top of the silo.
Smoke was showing from the top of the conveyor that moves boiler fuel to the silo.
Firefighters and mill employees overhauled the area and used pressurized water cans and a dry chemical extinguisher to mitigate the fire.
Fire department captain Jamie Mason says due to the remote
and elevated location, they couldn't use standard water hoses.
No one was injured, but the conveyor belt was burned through.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 22nd - 06:00 am » PA police report shows increase in drug crimes, decrease in burglaries so far this year
- 22nd - 05:30 am » Wrong-way crash on Highway 101 near Carlsborg
- 22nd - 06:00 am » PA to begin options for 8th Street bridges suicide barriers
- 21st - 06:00 am » Man arrested after shooting in west Port Angeles
- 21st - 05:30 am » PA man arrested after suspected selling of drugs from local motels
- 21st - 05:30 am » Stand off with police ends peacefully in Port Angeles
- 21st - 04:00 pm » KONP's Breakfast with Santa Info
- 21st - 05:30 am » Police seek info on rash of shots fired
- 20th - 05:30 am » Study: Marine mammals, not fisherman bigger threat to resident Orcas
- 20th - 05:30 am » Steady rains bring flooding, landslide threats