The Full Story
Fire burns part of mill power generating plant
March 10th, 2017 - 05:00 am
(Port Angeles) – Crews were able to put out a fire in the big silo at the Co-generation plant at the Nippon mill in Port Angeles.
Firefighters were called to a structure fire at the mill about seven o'clock last night.
Nippon employees reported a fire near the top of the silo.
Smoke was showing from the top of the conveyor that moves boiler fuel to the silo.
Firefighters and mill employees overhauled the area and used pressurized water cans and a dry chemical extinguisher to mitigate the fire.
Fire department captain Jamie Mason says due to the remote
and elevated location, they couldn't use standard water hoses.
No one was injured, but the conveyor belt was burned through.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 20th - 05:30 am » Woman gets 45 days for store theft
- 19th - 11:30 am » Joyce Moves To Ban Retail Pot Sales
- 19th - 05:30 am » DUI suspected in bicycle-van crash
- 19th - 10:00 am » PA Looking To Ammend Property Cleanup Code
- 18th - 10:00 am » New (564) Area Code Starts July 29th
- 18th - 12:30 pm » City Hoping For Road Repair Help With Current Ballot Measure
- 18th - 11:30 am » Lower Elwha Executive Says Hotel Plans Will Move Forward
- 17th - 01:00 pm » Temporary B&B County Ordinance Will Likely Be Extended
- 17th - 12:00 pm » More Federeal Funding For McDonald Creek Bridge
- 13th - 11:00 am » Primary Voting Underway