McKeen Reviews PA's Overall Health To Chamber Of Commerce
March 8th, 2017 - 02:30 pm
Port Angeles – On Wednesday, the Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce hosted City Manager, Dan McKeen, who provided a review of the city's financial health, projects, and future challenges.
McKeen reviewed the city's efforts at balancing the budget and increasing the city's reserves.
He reiterated the project successes that the city had accomplished including the repair to the regional landfill, the combined sewer overflow which reduced discharges to zero after its implementation.
He also brought up some of the on-going projects facing the city, such as the negotiations taking place with the National Park Service for the city's water supply, and the harbor clean-up efforts.
McKeen addressed the pending issue of a citizen petition to change Port Angeles into what is termed a 2nd class city, citing competing legal opinions.
That petition to change city government rose out of a heated debate over whether to add fluoride to the city's water, and what many citizens felt was a lack of listening on the part of city council members.
McKeen finished with a review of the the city's prospects, as laid out in the city's comprehensive plan. He then provided one example the city is looking at to improve its financial situation that involves zoning and business placement.
McKeen acknowledged the difficulty of dealing with these types of issues, but pointed out how these challenges, and how we deal with them, will shape the future of the community.
LATEST NEWS ITEMS:
- 29th - 06:00 am » Local boat builder to double workforce, state grant to train workers
- 29th - 10:00 am » Man's Body Recovered From Water In PA Boat Haven
- 29th - 07:30 am » Phone Scam Warnings
- 29th - 12:00 pm » PA Schools To Increase Earned Credits For Graduation
- 29th - 09:00 am » More Hood Canal Bridge Closures Slated For April
- 28th - 09:30 am » Sequim Nominated For USA Today Contest
- 28th - 04:00 pm » Arrests made in large drug trafficking case
- 28th - 10:30 am » Sunday's Crime Spree Suspect Arrested
- 28th - 11:00 am » Kilmer Seeks Answers On Naval Air Drills Over Peninsula
- 28th - 09:00 am » Canvassing Board Resolution On Uncounted Ballots Report